The internet is amazing! You can use it to do your homework, play games, or keep in touch with your friends and family, even when they are far away!
But it’s important to be safe when we’re online. Being safe online means:
- Using your devices in a healthy way.
- Keeping your personal information private.
- Telling a trusted adult when something doesn’t feel right.
Here are some do’s and don’ts you should keep in mind when you go online!
- Be kind to others!
You should always treat other people online with respect, just like you’d want them to treat you.
- Be honest about what you’re doing!
If your trusted adults know what you’re doing with your devices, it’s easier for them to help you stay safe!
- Tell an adult if you see something that makes you feel uncomfortable!
We know it can be scary to tell an adult when you see something you don’t like online. Remember, they want to help you.
- Make sure people are who they say they are!
Sometimes people can use fake profiles to pretend to be someone they’re not. If something seems strange, get an adult to help you!
- Balance your screen time with other activities!
Don’t forget to take regular breaks from your screen to do other hobbies or exercise, and get some fresh air if you can!
- Agree to meet strangers offline!
It’s exciting to make new friends, but if someone you don’t know tries to meet with you offline, you should talk to an adult.
- Download anything without an adult’s permission!
You should always check with an adult before you download a new app or game, and NEVER pay for anything using real money unless they say it’s OK
- Share your personal information!
The internet is great for sharing, but some things should be kept a secret. If you meet someone online who you don’t know in real life, don’t tell them:
- Your full name or age
- Names of people in your family
- Where you live or go to school
- Reply to messages that are unkind!
If someone sends you rude or hurtful messages, tell an adult. They can help you report the user, or block them so they can’t send more messages.
- Use your device close to bedtime!
You should put your screens to bed at least an hour before you go to bed. That way, you’ll get a good night’s sleep and be rested for the next day!
Follow these simple rules, and you'll be able to stay safe and have all kinds of amazing adventures online!